Sunday, January 23, 2011

Little girl's apron

My little friend Karinna has an apron that's apparently been around for a long time (passed down from her cousins) and each time I see it I find myself drawn to it and even feel compelled to make one like it for Gab. So I used hers to inspire this little apron. Oliver wore it to make pizza with me last Friday night so since it really doesn't fit him or look quite appropriate for a boy I'm sure I'll soon be making 3 boys' aprons most likely with their names on theirs if/when I have time.

To make this I first decided on the size and shape I wanted to make the apron and cut out the back fabric first which is one solid piece. Making it again I'd probably *measure* the width of the apron,  add the seam allowance x6, and divide by 3 giving the width for 4 vertical panels. I didn't do this so i ended up randomly piecing each vertical strip on top of the bottom pattern and in the end cut down the bottom a little to make it look okay. To assemble the top I worked with vertical pieces, piecing each one and sewing it together and then deciding on the next row's fabric combination trying to contrast the fabrics as much as I could.  Once the top was assembled I ironed the seams open and wanted them to stay flat with out quilting everything in place so I used the thinnest fusible interfacing I had on hand, sewn to the wrong side. This does give the finished apron more structure than if it was not there and obviously the stronger the interfacing the stiffer the apron.

To make the straps I used 2&1/2" strips of fabric cut to the desired length. I used 2 different fabrics for the top straps and picked the back fabric to make the side ties. I folded the strap fabric in 1/2 length wise and ironed then tucked each side in to the center, as if I was making bias tape (not cut on a bias), and then top stitched each one with the ends tucked inside to finish. Each strap was zigzagged in place to reinforce on the top of the apron facing inside so the back could be layered on top and secured by stitching all around the apron w/ a small opening at the bottom. Where it was necessary I clipped the seams and then turned it right side out, ironed & top stitched all around. 


I have washed this and it seems to hold it's shape well. As a side note, I love to use contrasting fabrics and in this case decided on these fabrics based on the fuchsia, blue, yellow & pink theme that several of the fabrics repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment