Sunday, January 9, 2011

boys' neckties

Okay so I'm a little behind on posting pics of projects but I wanted to share this picture of my kids with the boys wearing their ties. The inspiration for my tie project was chapel. The boys go to a school where they are required to wear neckties on chapel day and since there's not a lot out there I thought I'd take a stab at making my own.

I first bought a men's pattern just to read and try to understand how they're made. I also looked online and found directions that seemed to work better for me. http://purlbee.squarespace.com/little-boys-tie/ the purl bee website gave me the clearest directions where the store bought pattern was done partially by machine and seemed most confusing, although a smart friend figured it out and explained it later. Still I think doing them by hand is best. Of course cut the fabric on the bias. I was able to cut 3 ties of one cut of fabric. If I remember right I used 3/4 of a yard and got 3 of the same tie, so perfect if you're trying to make matching neckties or want to make some as gifts or to sell.

In my opinion the fabric that works best is something silkier or more polished than not. I tried to use a batik but it didn't tie right, okay that was my first try and I didn't cut it on the bias either but I think the slip factor was lacking. So the more like flannel the fabric is the worse it would be. Just my opinion based on my limited experience and since most ties are made of silk there's a good reason.

If you're new to tying ties like I am you might look for the Full Windsor knot. I love that it's balanced and full. if you're planning to do a smaller knot then you'll want to consider that as you are deciding on the length and the size of the little man you're making this for. The Full Windsor knot uses more length.

There are so many fun fabrics out there to choose from. I look forward to making these again but maybe in the summer and I'll let the boys help pick out fabric.

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea you made those ties!! I love them. But its not surprising. you have an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! I mean the kids, no I mean the ties, no I mean both! I do love the ties, but Gabby's expression is priceless. To me, a Full Windsor is too bulky for a little boy, but a half would work. I think the slip factor would make silk almost a necessity. A washable silk for *my* boy! They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the Full Windsor for it's balance and near perfection. Good quality quilting fabric and maybe even more polished cottons are my preference. if you notice the pattern @ purlbee they use Liberty of London fabric which is close to $40/yard. I have found it in the bay area but then that was at a cool store where I found other things I liked for less which meant i could get more.
    Jenney, I look forward to seeing the tie you make little Jed and I KNOW you'll do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! There have been many times I've been challenged in buying ties for the boys. Wonderful work Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete